Sunday, January 4, 2009

First try

So, I decided to try this blog stuff....Might as well put my thoughts down somewhere for everyone to see, right? Anyway what got me thinking is a few things. First off I would like to share things that interest me, piss me off, and are just funny, so this seems like a good place to do so. The second thing that got me thinking about doing a blog was the movie Wall-e. Yes that's right that movie about that cute little robot Wall-e. He pisses me right off...so this first entry will be about discussing that movie. Don't worry this wont end up being a bitch about everything blog. Anyway here it goes....

So I saw Wall-e for this first time a few weeks ago. Everything started off fine, cute lonely robot on an abandoned Earth. He meets a beautiful new robot and falls in love, blah blah blah....anyway what bugs me are the inconsistencies. First off the humans. What the hell? We are led to believe that we are realistic humans like we see everyday in the mirror. And then we turn into turd people who are dumb as hell! "Define dance?" Are you shittin' me? We have all these sophisticated robots, space travel and such and we become more stupid than your average Cro-Magnon man 
(sorry Geico cavemen). So on a style level, we see realistic humans like Fred Willard here, and we turn into the most cartoony thing Pixar has ever done? Stupid! So first point, the humans sucked! 

Next point...I have heard so many times, "The made an emotional story about robot love with little dialogue." Well that's not as hard as you'd think. You can personify anything and make an emotional story about it...does anyone remember The Brave Little Toaster? It was an F-in' TOASTER!! (Great movie by the way!) Anyway to prove this point, I made a little story i want to share with you, "The Adventures of Wall-ington and Door-a"
Wallington has been alone in the corner of this house his whole life. He has been watching romantic movies his whole life with the single dude that lives in this house (We'll name that dude, Matt Campbell, sound like a lonely character name)...



Matt decided that the wall next to Wallington would make for a good place to put a door. Enter Door-a, a beautiful door purchased from Home Depot. Wallington is in love! However being the professional woman Door-a is, she is focused on her job of being a door. 

Matt took a long vacation to visit a girl he met on the internet. So Wallington and Door-a had time to get to know each other. Long story short they fall in love...AWWW!!!
Matt fell in love with this internet girl and moved away. But before he left he sold his house to some big wig capitalists. They turned the quaint little house into a store. In the name of business, they got rid of Door-a, leaving Wallington alone once again.
The lazy humans added an automatic door. 

Then one day the humans decided to build a closet, and guess who the door was? Door-a!! They lived happily ever after. Until they were bulldozed by Wal-Mart 10 years later.


There I summed up very similar plot points to Wall-e with a wall and a door. Now its not as well thought out or excuted, but the point is that you can make anything have a personality, so stop thinking Wall-e is god's gift to animated films because its a robot in love, if you wanna see robot love check out this video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjAoBKagWQA  

Ok last point. The movie was soooo preachy! I've had people tell me that it brings up good points. Sure okay maybe it does, but if those points weren't thrust in you're face the entire movie it wouldn't be so bad! Wholesalers are ruining our life! Consumerism is killing us! We are so wasteful!!! I GET IT!! GEEZ! and you wanna know what's ironic? with all those messages, Pixar still wants you to buy the dvd, special edition dvd, the soundtrack, the art book, and what ever else.... consumerism? I think so! 

Okay look, I enjoyed the movie, very cute...I'm not saying its a bad movie at all...I'm just wanting people to stop freaking out about Pixar movies just because they are Pixar...I know what you're thinking, "but Matt you work at DreamWorks, you're biased" sure i get it, but still I don't think Wall-e is as good as everyone thought it was, that's all. Nuff said.











1 comment:

  1. Matt I'm going to decorate your room with Wall-E wallpaper and buy you a Wall-E desk lamp and sheet set and I'm also going to talk about nothing else but Wall-E for at least five days!!!

    ReplyDelete